“I know the law and how to identify issues imperative to every family law case I take on – efficiently and effectively. Period.” Robert G. Smith

Photo of Robert G. Smith
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Child Custody & Support
  4.  | Child Custody & Relocation

Are You Requesting Or Contesting A Parental Relocation?

Every day, custodial parents petition the New York family courts for permission to relocate out of state with a child or children from a previous marriage.

Reasons for these relocations could range from business or military transfer, to pursuit of specialized health services available only in another state, to job-seeking. Post-judgment modifications are pursued to reflect this kind of sudden, substantial change in circumstance, ideally “in the best interests of the child.”

I am family law attorney Robert G. Smith. I make myself available to custodial and noncustodial parents who, post-divorce, request or contest parental relocations on a number of grounds. These are the kinds of quality legal services I have provided to individuals and families in greater New York City for more than 40 years.

You Deserve Attentive Advocacy For Any Child Custody Issue

As your lawyer, I can fully explain factors that determine, extend and terminate parental rights, as well as the roles of mental health tests and so-called “Lincoln hearings,” where a child may be interviewed privately by a judge. Whatever the short-term or long-range custody and visitation need, my law firm is here to help.

I am highly familiar with the methodology and science used by court-appointed mental health experts. I excel at cross-examinations of these experts, and can access the testimony of mental health experts for peer reviews or testimony in your case. My wealth of courtroom experience can be a definite asset in these situations.

In overview, child custody decisions are guided by two concepts: parental access and decision-making for medical, religious, educational and recreational matters, typically dividing responsibilities between the parents.

Contact Me, Robert G. Smith, For A Free (And Confidential) Consultation

When you have questions about any phase of custody, visitation or parental relocation discussions, I have answers. Call my New York City office at 212-499-0940 or stay at this website to contact me online.