“I know the law and how to identify issues imperative to every family law case I take on – efficiently and effectively. Period.” – Robert G. Smith

How to collect overdue child support in New York

On Behalf of | May 14, 2021 | Child Support

Just because your former spouse is legally required to pay child support in the state of New York, that doesn’t mean that they always will. Unfortunately, sometimes a parent may lapse on their child support payments. If this has happened to you, here are the steps that you’ll need to follow in order to get it.

Talk to the Division of Child Support Enforcement

When it comes to child custody and support, you’ll regularly be dealing with the Division of Child Support Enforcement. This is a specific state authority that has legislative privileges to help parents collect unpaid child support from noncustodial parents. It’s important to note that this authoritative group does not involve any sort of legal actions being taken against the noncustodial parent. Rather, they will use their legislative powers to collect overdue child support payments.

A look at the administrative procedures

There are two main types of administrative procedures that the Division of Child Support Enforcement will utilize to collect overdue child support. These include income execution and unemployment insurance benefits interception. During income execution, the Division of Child Support Enforcement will deduct overdue child support from the noncustodial parent wages through their employer.

In the event that the noncustodial parent receives unemployment, their overdue child support payments will be automatically deducted from their payments. These are two simple ways that a parent can collect overdue child support payments without having to take any sort of legal action against their former spouse.

Dealing with child support payments can be a bit tricky, especially when a noncustodial parent is not complying with the child support order. While you have a couple of different options of what you can do, it’s best to start with talking to the Division of Child Support Enforcement. In most cases, they’ll be able to recover the overdue child support payments that are owed to you.


FindLaw Network