Robert G. Smith, PLLC

Reluctant state jeopardizes child support for everyone

New York parents who receive child support should be aware that a recent action in Idaho has the potential to jeopardize foreign child support enforcement for everyone. Due to misguided concerns about Shariah law, legislators in the state recently rejected a pending treaty that would make participating countries enforce foreign child support orders.

The proposed child support treaty includes a number of countries, but as in the United States child support is under the jurisdiction of state government, each state in required to ratify it. Currently, individual states must negotiate with foreign governments in order to seek enforcement of child support orders, a process that can take years. With the treaty, foreign governments would enforce child support orders issued in American courts. Conversely, states would also enforce child support orders issued in the foreign courts of participating countries, a sticking point for the Idaho legislators who are concerned that doing so would allow Shariah law to trump U.S. law in some cases.

Government officials have called such fears baseless, as protections already exist in the U.S. for courts to refuse to enforce orders that conflict with American laws. In addition to providing a uniform and automatic means for child support collection, the treaty also carries with it significant amounts of potential federal funding that would go to individual states to help automate the collection process, meaning everyone could potentially lose.

Child support orders are issued to make certain that a child enjoys a standard of living that is similar to what would have otherwise been the case if the parents had remained together. Trying to enforce a child support order when one parent lives abroad can be very difficult. The pending treaty could help millions of parents across the country seek and obtain needed child support from foreign parents much more easily. Those who need to open a child support case against a parent who lives abroad may want to seek help from a family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get The Help You need

If you would like to talk with me, call my office in Manhattan at 212-499-0940 or contact me online.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Robert G. Smith, PLLC
950 Third Ave., 11th Floor
New York, NY 10022

Phone: 212-499-0940
Fax: 212-499-9091
New York Law Office Map